About Me

My photo
" 'Obsessive thinking will eventually wear a hole in your mind' --Michael Lipsey. Word. My brains like swiss cheese." -C. K. Shannon

Sunday 4 March 2012

The Day Julia Child and I Became One


“Don’t crowd the mushrooms! Otherwise they won’t brown!”
I could here Julie Powell in a scene from the movie Julie and Julia, teaching herself out of Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French cooking, as I looked down at the mass of mushrooms on the cutting board, envisioning the sin I was about to commit. I carefully cooked them in small batches, and they browned in no time.

The book is faded and loved, the pages thick with wear but sturdy and informative. My library copy was perched somewhere mess-free like a hymnal on a music stand. It had already taken a heart-stopping fall coming out of the grocery store where I had carefully been scouring for ingredients, saved by the bottom rungs of the cart from falling into a puddle. My worn sticky notes marked the pages of attempt: the oh so famous Boeuf Bourguignon, always declared in a deep boisterous voice (which I did my best to imitate), Artichokes with Hollandaise Sauce, Rice Pilaf, Rockfort Cheese Quiche, and of course, Chocolate Souflee. I far from mastered French Cooking, but wanted to capture Julia, and the essence of her work in my “perfect meal”.

The perfect meal to me includes insight, dedication, care and connection with ingredients and labor, it means seeing every dish from start to finish, communicating a labor of love. I regret not having more time to dedicate to the warmth and wit of her teachings, carefully outlined in each recipe of every kitchen tool and every cooking method.

Procuring ingredients was nothing short of a Grocery Store tour through Kalamazoo: The Park St. Market, Meijer, People’e Food Co-op, Sawall Health Food, and D&W. It turns out artichokes are hard to come by in the middle of winter, and Roquefort Cheese can only be found at D&W. It was overwhelming to traverse through Kalamazoo and realize the scarcity of some of my ingredients during a heavy school week.

Although I tried to channel every aspect of Julia- her charm, her ways and her methods, certain parts of the meal resorted to conventionality as opposed to her manual, old-fashioned impressiveness. I couldn’t help but use the microwave, and desperately lacked ramekin cups for the Chocolate Souflee, so I managed to find a collection of matching school-cafeteria mugs in our eclectic collection of school-provided kitchen supplies. I was nervous about the risk of using the misshapen, tall porcelain for something so testy. But, I conquered a souflee, beautifully, successfully, and without ramekins!

The Hollandaise was for sure the most intense: not an unoccupied second to breathe in the whole recipe, and so many opportunities to blow the whole thing. I was riding on the inspiration of my two sisters, who had successfully made the sauce before. Hollandaise sauce requires consistent, muscled labor: constant whipping for 20 minutes or more. The bulk of it is butter, with egg yolk and flavored with lemon. The idea is to heat the egg yolks, but not cook them, constantly aerating them with a vigorous whisking motion. If you are to stop or slow down, the eggs would scramble or curdle, ruining the sauce. I alternated whisking with one of my housemates, channeling Julia Child’s man biceps and ability to keep up in a male cooking class. I persevered, though, and learned that Hollendaise Sauce is another food myth: “impossible” in perception, but like poached eggs, and seeding pomegranates, if you follow the directions it turns out just fine. This world famous sauce was the reason for four of the four and a half sticks of butter used in the entire meal.

It was not as picture perfect as I had imagined it: I was wearing pearls, but underneath my lumberjack flannel with bunchy corduroys, and the most useful tool in the kitchen ended up being our onion goggles, as onions were used in almost every dish! The cooking was intensive, and time consuming, taking nearly five hours of straight mixing, prepping, baking and warming of finished dishes. The countertops were covered in dirty bowls abandoned in the midst of a time-sensitive step in a recipe. As we were mixing the last of the souflee, my housemates descended upon the kitchen, diligently picking up the slack on dishes that had accumulated. Once the souflee was in the oven, and the artichokes were on the table I was stunned by the resonating stillness of the meal, after constant chaos, it was finally time to eat.

There was much laughter around the table of eight girls, but mostly starvation, with a late dinnertime. The most important ingredient to a fantastic meal is an appetite. The artichokes were a tease for growling stomachs, so little meat with each bite. It was the first time many of my housemates had even seen an artichoke. I gave a classy demo about how to scrape the bottom of the top layer of the leaf off with your teeth. Next came the Bouef, Rice, and Quiche. The rice and quiche were for the vegetarian. The quiche was punchy and strong with flavor, and light like warm cheesecake. Not being a fan of “stinky” cheese myself, I was reluctant about the flavor but loved the idea of the authenticity, and was pleasantly surprised. The Pilaf was nothing more than rice cooked in onions, and of course, butter. It was the perfect counterpart to the melting, flavorful beef and vegetables that had soaked up red wine and herbs for the past four hours. It was more of a stew than I had imagined, and to be honest I wasn’t that impressed with the idea of Beef Stew for dinner, but the flavors communicated the art and skill behind the recipe: the ability to infuse so many flavors into the perfection of good quality meat. The souflee followed, the most impressive of everything, with homemade whipped cream on top. Not only were they saturated with delicious chocolate, but they did not collapse!

There are strange expectations that come with preparing such a labor and love infused meal, the moment of enjoyment was disappointingly anticlimactic. It was surprisingly hard to configure the timing of warming each dish, so many of the courses were lukewarm, a quality which undermines all of the care, and precision with which they were made. I’m not saying it wasn’t good, but it’s hard to justify 5 hours of work for one hour of enjoyment.

12 comments:

  1. I thought that this whole thing was great! It's cool that you set out on a mission to create this meal and you stuck with it. If I had found out that I would have to go to that many stores to find the ingredients, I would have changed my mind. It seems like a very well thought out meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job Charlotte, I really enjoyed reading this piece! So much of your personality, emotions, and connection to food are brought to this piece. I can tell that you put a lot of effort into this meal, an effort that extends into the piece itself. I admire your attempts to mirror Julia Child's cooking skills and recipes, and I can't wait to talk about this in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the humor that comes across in this piece and the descriptions of the food was great. I would have liked to see a bit more on the reflection after the meal, in terms of emotions and if it was perfect to you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really do a nice job here balancing intention, foraging/gathering, preparation, eating and reflection. I love all the evocative details. I found myself longing for photos of you in your pearls and flannel posing in the trashed kitchen but then realized you had already painted those pictures in my head, which is the goal of great narrative. I did wonder a bit about why these particular dishes and why Julia-inspired. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made all the food sound wonderful and you were able to successfully create images of almost everything with little left to be filled in by the reader. I agree that you could have added a little more reflection, I was specifically wondering about the thought in your last sentence. I think that idea provides a good start for you to further reflect on the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte,

    This is a wonderful piece! All this remembers me the movie Julia and Julie! You were really ambitious with your perfect meal! I really admire you because I would be never be able to do something like this! You also have amazing details like describing Julia's Child book or the clothes you were using while you were cooking. Maybe you can talk about who was Julia Child, no everybody knows her. Great job, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte,
    I really enjoyed your piece, it is well constructed, it has great descriptions. I was able to picture the whole scene in my head. I'm impressed with the fact that you actually tried a Julia Child's recipe. Great job ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this meal sounds intense! It sounds like a lot of work went into it, both shopping and cooking, and I'm sad to hear that it didn't all seem to pay off! The writing though, was clear and concise, and all-together well done. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A whirlwind piece--you did a great job of communicating your state of mind through the style of your short, chopped sentences. I feel like Julia kind of became lost at the end, especially so when she was so crucial to the beginning of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Props for making what sounds like an amazing meal. I wish I could cook...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte, this is a great piece, i love the detail and all the descriptions of the food and the cooking process. I would have loved to see more of your reflection on the meal because by the end of the story it kind gets unclear as to wether you enjoyed it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the way you described the arduous process of making a five hour meal in a way where I was interested about the whole thing. I was a bit confused about where you stood on your meal at the end of the piece though.

    ReplyDelete