About Me

My photo
" 'Obsessive thinking will eventually wear a hole in your mind' --Michael Lipsey. Word. My brains like swiss cheese." -C. K. Shannon

Saturday 18 August 2012

Saw-ad-dee-ka!

This is not the Wai, it is our "Thailand is HOT! Picture"! From left to right
Dalrudee, Yod, Me

Saw-ad-dee-ka, or, hello, good morning, good evening, goodbye, I greet you with this! As I greet you, I put my hand together in front of my chest with my elbows to my sides and bow my head slightly. 
I regret not being able to blog before my fourth day in Thailand as this will make for a long post! There isn’t much to say about my journey over except that it was LONG. I wrote in my journal at 5:15 AM on August 15th at the JFK Airport:
"I fee kind of like a machine… I’m doing things that are so familiar to me, going through security, planning my hydration and pee breaks, in such a way that I have created an illusion for myself that I am going somewhere familiar. It doesn’t seem foreign or surreal, and most weirdly it doesn’t feel like a big deal! It just feels like another day with the TSA".
At that point I had been awake for over 20 hours, staying awake through the night until my 6am flight. Let’s just rhyme and have a good time. Staying awake really numbed the novelty and anticipation of my departure. I didn’t have a restless night's sleep or an early wake up, I simply lived through the day, and at the end of it left my house… for 6 months. 34 hours later, I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand!
After a short orientation with ISDSI (International Sustainably Development Studies Institute), I was super excited after we were told that ISDSI is basically Montessori School for College students. WOW. ISDSI and Montessori is all about experiential learning… activating all five senses in a first hand encounter type of environment. I was a Montessori student when I was younger, and learned how to pour, measure, mix, build, read and label fish by the time I was 4 years old, all by learning through doing. I am really, really enthused for what is to come during my time as a student there.
I’m really glad I didn’t blog last night because I think I would have terrified myself, and all of you. My journal reads: 
My host families house :)
“Today was absolutely insane and I’m so tired I need to go to bed right away. I’m so frustrated with myself because I can’t remember anything my host family tells me. I think my host brothers name is Yod? Or something? And the housekeeper is either Pajan or Pajin, I can’t remember which, and I don’t remember what I should call my host mother and father Jan Ma? Jan Pa? Yod’s friend is with us and she keeps laughing at me when I try to say thank you. It just won’t stick in my head! Their house is like a palace! It is enormous, and as you walk through there are a series of shoes you must wear for each room. I think I wore a total of four pairs of ‘indoor shoes’ from room”.

Yod, me and Dolrudee in a telephone booth in Chiang Mai while exploring the markets
The shoe craziness still makes me smile and “thank you” is still my hardest word (and I need to use it so often, darn it!), but I have  much more faith in myself. I can’t say that my Thai got better today, but I did come to terms with how difficult it is going to be to learn. I have absolutely no natural ability at this language whatsoever, but it is because the words and sounds have no roots to words or sounds I am familiar with. Now I understand why everyone coos over romance languages… they really are easier. Corrections to last night’s journaling: My host brother’s name is Yodbourdin (Yod for short) and he is eight years old. He is absolutely precious and speaks English so I have been doing ok on the communication front, even if it is through translation. I just love the things that he says like “really please very much” and “did you have really a fun time today?” and he is so welcoming and enthusiastic that I am living with them, and that make it really fun. 
Swimming!
His friend, Dolrudee (that took me a few hours to remember) is spending 2 nights with us, and we can’t really talk much. She is 9. The poor things spent 2 hours with me this morning fter breakfast, teaching me words (numbers, body parts) and shaking her head at my horrific pronunciation while Yod was in Chinese lessons. I thought she hated me, but we went swimming today (where she was the one needing help, so we bonded), and she loves my Ukulele (ookalele in Thail). I still think she thinks I am an absolute moron. Jun (hoon) Mee and Jun Paw are my host parents, and they are lovely, warm and patient. There wasn’t a moment today where I felt alone, lost or in the dark. We went to get a cell phone, had ice cream, went to the market and went swimming. They are wonderful!
"Wang, sin, saam, take your marks... BEEP"
I am really in high spirits about everything and can’t wait for tomorrow to start… I think we are going on a adventure. Right now I am going to go practice the words that I learned so I can talk to Dohlrudee tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Chach,
    Love hearing your adventures in Thailand!!! You totally transported me there and I could picture you there. Enjoy learning Thai and the time with your precious host brother.
    Love
    Lucrecia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Char-- this is absolutely the greatest! It's crazy that I talked to you just a week ago and now we are in completely different worlds. And don't worry, I still don't know one of my host brother's names (or if he actually is my brother, for that matter), and I've been taking Spanish for a decade.
    So much love, and can't wait to hear more!!!
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, what were you in when you took that top "not the way of the Wai" picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is ther car!! it's one of those giant van things like brianna melger has, and the seats recline way farther than any plane I was on to get here :p

      Delete
  4. What a thrilling adventure, dear Charlotte...and I am delighted to be virtually on the ride, the blog, with you! Sending hugs from CA where I'm having fun with Kerry for two weeks, then home next door to your house. Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krop kun ka for your lovely post, Charlotte! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chashi!!!!!!!
    I miss you, but it looks so awesome. I totally know what you mean btw about staying up till your flight taking the excitement away, I kind of felt like you were leaving for school... Anyway, I think it finally hit me last night because I had a little breakdown at about 3am :P Ali left yesterday, but so far her void has been filled with Jack, Lida, and Hank. Miss you, you are amazing <3
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww this is making me miss you a LOT! <3 maybe we can talk tomorrow morning, your time. Miss you too... you are amazing-er!! xoxox

      Delete