About Me

My photo
" 'Obsessive thinking will eventually wear a hole in your mind' --Michael Lipsey. Word. My brains like swiss cheese." -C. K. Shannon

Sunday 23 September 2012

The Endings, the Beginnings and the In-Betweens



This is my Thailand-apropriate bathing suit, 
no more hiking clothes!
I wanted to write a post with a point right now but I’m not in the right frame of mind. I haven’t blogged in about a week, and I want to keep up! So I am just going to write to write.
         Right now I am sitting in a café at on the bottom level of our apartment complex using the WiFi and catching up on the mounds of reading we have for school. Monday starts our Agroecology Block (the second of four units of curriculum during our time here), and with this comes quite a bit of work. Friday afternoon I went home with a large, juicy stack of untouched, unruffled, uncreased stack of books and field journals all to be read, written in and filled over the next 4 weeks of our course. There was something so cozy about being enveloped in things to learn, and the best part is, I feel SO ready and enthused to learn it all. Different from what I have told my parents, I feel as though I have almost never been able to make my school work my top priority, but I am in Thailand to LEARN. And the best part is, this is my stuff, my “thing” my passion I guess. (I think) Our course is called “Sustainable Food Systems”. Thinking about it sends me into zaps of anxious glee! THIS IS ALL I WANT TO DO/LEARN ABOUT!!!!
         Yesterday we moved into apartments for the rest of our time in Thailand, which meant leaving my host family. This was really bittersweet for me, because although I felt as though I had to provide a lot of closure, they are certain we will spend lots of time together in the future. I do hope to go back and hang out with them on weekends. Perhaps the most endearing part of leaving them was reading my host brother the thank you note that my mom wrote to his Mom, asking him to translate to her in Thai. As he spoke he kept getting choked up, teary eyed, was blinking rapidly. Embarrassed, he covered his face and ran out of the room, overwhelmed with emotion. He has taught me so much, and I am so lucky to have him.
         My school hosted a farewell dinner as part of our leaving our families, we all dressed in traditional Lanna clothing, and there was a talent show performed by the students. Yod and I sang two Thai songs, "Lam La Bam Ciao Ko" and "Chang, Chang, Chang" about elephants. That night I didn't stop smiling for like an hour and a half. All of my classmates got up on stage and did the most cutest, impressive, talented tasks mostly thrust upon them by their host families including singing, dancing, and playing music. It was awesome.
         Living with a family here has really reminded me of the importance of Family. There is nothing like being loved. I really respect the decisions my host parents have made in their raising of Yod, and I can tell he is everything to them. Being able to share in the tight bonds they have with one another is really special.  Just a few pictures to share until another update sometime this week :)

I introduced us in Thai, and Yod introduced us in English

The room full of families, I have 26 classmates, all with large host families!

We sang a thank you song all together

The flower I presented to my Mae

The Thai class! We have SO much fun together and have the best, most loving Ajaan (prof) from L-R Andrew, Jenny, Ajaan Budsakorn, Cassie and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment