About Me

My photo
" 'Obsessive thinking will eventually wear a hole in your mind' --Michael Lipsey. Word. My brains like swiss cheese." -C. K. Shannon

Thursday 2 February 2012

Charm: A Secret Ingredient



            I very much enjoy our readings in Secret Ingredients… I find the voices of the New Yorker writers to be eloquent with so much personality and charisma. Many of the stories made me smile, and even laugh out loud. It was great to revisit Tony Bourdain and read something from his “insider” chef perspective… I would imagine “Don’t Eat Before Reading This” is an example of the truths that come out in his book Kitchen Confidential? Andres? Additionally, reading “Is There a Crisis in French Cooking?” reminded me of on of Bourdain’s adventures in A Cook’s Tour, structured similarly, with a sub focus on alcohol ;)
            My favorite of today’s stories was “Good Cooking”. I’m realizing I am such a sucker for Julia Child’s charm and character, and thinking about cooking my meal for our third writing piece out of her cookbook! Thinking about this as I read, I wonder how can I have the most authentic and dramatic “Julia Child” experience possible? This story gave me some ideas. The movie also really shaped the way I read this story because I couldn’t help but hear the voice of Meryl Streep in my head during the dialogue. Both the movie and “Good Cooking” depict Julia as a fearless leader of housewives, and a diligent teacher who strives to communicate every detail, and the reason behind every procedure in every recipe.  And she does it with such style! Pearls, heels, a classy apron, and she dances through the kitchen, puttering over this or that, and finding humor in each of her mistakes. Julia’s sympathy for humanity and earnest yearning to be a diligent teacher is art of what makes her so endearing, and this certainly came through in the reading: “The purpose of their book was to overcome the American fear of “elaborate” French cuisine… leave[ing] nothing out, describe[ing] for example, what each dish should look like and feel like at each stage in its preparation, and also to discuss some of the things that could go wrong” (134). Julia is a “myth buster”, guiding aspiring American housewives to achieve their own greatness, and these priorities are telling of her passion for food and French cooking. Julia is so real, illustrating to her reader, viewers, and students that it takes a process and journey of learning through mistakes as she herself makes them on the show, becoming “furious” when the camera man cut the action during a fire crises because she wanted to show her viewers how to handle these things. Although I have never seen her show, I can sense from every word of description from this story that it is unbearably tickling. Described by her husband as “‘a natural ham’” Julia commands the kitchen, and is an inspiration of others in her following to do just the same. Julia’s personality defines her relationship with food, and helps others to feel closer to it as well. I hope I can grow closer to Julia and her endearing ways throughout my cooking career!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I accidentally deleted my last comment, oh well. I really enjoyed how you described that the piece contextualized Child's importance to our generation; a generation who's received little exposure to Child. This is an opposition to our parent's generation, who seemed to idolized her, and for good reason. I loved your section where you said that Julia was "fearless leader of housewives, and a diligent teacher who strives to communicate every detail." As someone who is pretty unfamiliar with cooking, this is exactly what I want a celebrity chef to convey to me. I also have to admit that I couldn't help reading the article in the Streep's impression of Child too! Great writing, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete